Well. Lets see about testing and its process ideally followed in a company with the help of flow chart for better understanding.
Testing is a process to verify whether the software or application is performing enough to fulfil its intended purpose.
Objective of testing is to find as many defects as possible to make sure that the software under test is defect free to ensure the quality and implementation of all requirements.
- Requirements is the input for testing.
Write Test Plan
- A document which derives all future activities of the project.
- It contains – Scope and objectives of testing, entry and exit criteria, when to write test cases, execution of test cases, testing methodology to be adopted, planning test environment, resource planning, risks and failures, schedule and estimation, test deliverables etc.
Write Test case
- Test case design techniques are identified to convert all the test scenarios into test cases.
- Test cases are written in the standard template for each feature.
- Once these test cases are reviewed and approved then they are stored in a test case repository.
- A document which ensures that each and every requirement has a test case.
- Traceability Matrix has got the mapping between requirements and test cases.
- It is also known as RTM(Requirement Traceability Matrix) or CRM(Cross Reference Matrix).
- Any bug found by the testing team is logged and assigned to the development team.
- This bug has to be retested by the testing team once it has been fixed by the developer.
Test Execution Report
- Test Execution Report(TER) contains a list of bugs, summary of test pass, fail etc.
- It is prepared after every test cycle and sent to development team, testing team, management and customer depending on the project.
- The last TER of the last test cycle is always sent to the customer. And this means that the project is over-according to the customer.
- This report is also called as Test Summary Report.
Project Closure Meeting
- Project Closure Meeting is an indication to the project team that the project is officially over.
- Risk Management Plan will be reviewed and documented about how the project did in mitigating risks.
- List of mistakes and achievements are discussed and documented to implement the good practices and correct the mistakes in future projects.